Wednesday 2 January 2008

43 - Saturday Night Live: Jamitol

from Saturday Night Live, October 11th, 1975
(transcript from: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75ajamitol.phtml)

Man #1 ... Chevy Chase
Man #2 ... Michael O'Donoghue

[Two soft-spoken, casually-dressed men address the camera, betraying not a trace of effeminacy. Man #1 (Chevy Chase) is tall. Man #2 (Michael O’Donoghue) is shorter, bespectacled and bearded.]

CC: This is my best friend, my business partner, my advisor, my companion, my wife. And I love her. She's quite a gal, you know. She takes care of the house, cooks great meals, makes studded leather vests at our own boutique, and still has enough energy to give me the attention I need at the end of a long day. I don't know how you do it.

MOD: Well, I take care of myself. I get plenty of rest, go to the Y, eat right and, to make sure I get enough iron and vitamins, I take Jamitol every day. [puts a pipe in his mouth]

CC: Makes me take it, too.

[Dissolve to two packages of the product (tablet and liquid) and a large spoon.]

Announcer: Jamitol. More than twice the iron and high-potency vitamins found in other supplements. Tablet or liquid.

[Cut back to the two men. Man #2 takes the pipe out of his mouth.]

CC: My wife. She's quite a gal. And I love her for it.

[The two men glance at one another matter-of-factly, as a husband and wife would, then look back at the camera.]
-----------------------

This is from the very first episode of Saturday Night Live. The jokes lies in that an advert featuring homosexuals is just as dull and banal as any other advert. Or it could just be the joke of a man taking the woman’s role, but with the extra twist of doing without comedy drag.

No comments: