Sunday 29 June 2008

150: Keith Hampson 6 - JAK

in “The Evening Standard” 15 May 1984

Most of the editorial cartoons about the whole affaire d'Keith Hampson either relate to the police (which I’ve already exhumed) or touch instead upon embarrassment by association for Michael Heseltine (which just don’t really fit my brief). If the issue is homosexuality though JAK will usually try his hand. And so, here’s an attempt at a cartoon about gay MPs. But fuck me sideways through a hedge if it’s not as impenetrable as the Pope’s back passage.
Unless there was some other news item at the time I’m unaware of, I can’t for the life of me see the need for closeted MPs to go around as members of the KKK. Do you? Although that they need to be sheets with the letters “MP” blazoned upon them conspicuously for us to have even the faintest clue as to what’s going on, is only a further indication of this cartoon’s epic-three-and-a-half-hours-with-a-ten-minute-comfort-break-cinemascope-in-full-sound-"o"-rama fucked-uppedness.
Oh yes, and the Rastafarian looks a touch to much like a golliwog for my comfort, too.

No comments: